Touching Hearts

Touching Hearts

The story first, my comments are at the bottom italicized.

As she stood in front of her 5th grade class on the very first day of school, she told the children an untruth. Like most teachers, she looked at her students and said that she loved them all the same. However, that was impossible, because there in the front row, slumped in his seat, was a little boy named Teddy Stoddard.

Mrs. Thompson had watched Teddy the year before and noticed that he did not play well with the other children, that his clothes were messy and that he constantly needed a bath. In addition, Teddy could be unpleasant.

It got to the point where Mrs. Thompson would actually take delight in marking his papers with a broad red pen, making bold X's and then putting a big "F" at the top of his papers.

At the school where Mrs. Thompson taught, she was required to review each child's past records and she put Teddy's off until last. However, when she reviewed his file, she was in for a surprise.

Teddy's first grade teacher wrote, "Teddy is a bright child with a ready laugh. He does his work neatly and has good manners... he is a joy to be around.."

His second grade teacher wrote, "Teddy is an excellent student, well liked by his classmates, but he is troubled because his mother has a terminal illness and life at home must be a struggle."

His third grade teacher wrote, "His mother's death has been hard on him. He tries to do his best, but his father doesn't show much interest and his home life will soon affect him if some steps aren't taken."

Teddy's fourth grade teacher wrote, "Teddy is withdrawn and doesn't show much interest in school. He doesn't have many friends and he sometimes sleeps in class."

By now, Mrs. Thompson realized the problem and she was ashamed of herself. She felt even worse when her students brought her Christmas presents, wrapped in beautiful ribbons and bright paper, except for Teddy's. His present was clumsily wrapped in the heavy, brown paper That he got from a grocery bag Mrs. Thompson took pains to open it in the middle of the other presents. Some of the children started to laugh when she found a rhinestone bracelet with some of the stones missing, and a bottle that was one-quarter full of perfume.. But she stifled the children's laughter when she exclaimed how pretty the bracelet was, putting it on, and dabbing some of the perfume on her wrist. Teddy Stoddard stayed after school that day just long enough to say, "Mrs. Thompson, today you smelled just like my Mom used to." After the children left, she cried for at least an hour.

On that very day, she quit teaching reading, writing and arithmetic. Instead, she began to teach children. Mrs. Thompson paid particular attention to Teddy. As she worked with him, his mind seemed to come alive. The more she encouraged him, the faster he responded. By the end of the year, Teddy had become one of the smartest children in the class and, despite her lie that she would love all the children the same, Teddy became one of her "teacher's pets.."

A year later, she found a note under her door, from Teddy, telling* her that she was still the best teacher he ever had in his whole life.

Six years went by before she got another note from Teddy. He then wrote that he had finished high school, third in his class, and she was still the best teacher he ever had in life.

Four years after that, she got another letter, saying that while things had been tough at times, he'd stayed in school, had stuck with it, and would soon graduate from college with the highest of honors. He assured Mrs. Thompson that she was still the best and favorite teacher he had ever had in his whole life.

Then four more years passed and yet another letter came. This time he explained that after he got his bachelor's degree, he decided to go a little further. The letter explained that she was still the best and favorite teacher he ever had. But now his name was a little longer.... The letter was signed, Theodore F. Stoddard, MD.

The story does not end there. You see, there was yet another letter that spring. Teddy said he had met this girl and was going to be married. He explained that his father had died a couple of years ago and he was wondering if Mrs. Thompson might agree to sit at the wedding in the place that was usually reserved for the mother of the groom.

Of course, Mrs. Thompson did. And guess what? She wore that bracelet, the one with several rhinestones missing. Moreover, she made sure she was wearing the perfume that Teddy remembered his mother wearing on their last Christmas together.

They hugged each other, and Dr. Stoddard whispered in Mrs. Thompson's ear, "Thank you Mrs. Thompson for* believing in me. Thank you so much for making me feel important and showing me that I could make a difference."

Mrs. Thompson, with tears in her eyes, whispered back. She said, "Teddy, you have it all wrong. You were the one who taught me that I could make a difference. I didn't know how to teach until I met you."

(For you that don't know, Teddy Stoddard is the Dr. at Iowa Methodist Hospital in Des Moines that has the Stoddard Cancer Wing.)


The school district where I work gave us this story a couple of Christmases ago. It has touched my heart since then and each time a new school year starts, I remember this story. Each time a child acts up in class, I remember this story. I believe we are all shaped by our pasts. We are the way we are because of our experiences. Before we go ahead and judge someone, it would be helpful to have a glimpse into their life. That kid that may be driving you nuts in class because he is acting up and not listening to you, he/she may be that way because life at home may be rough. Maybe the parents are not "there" for him or her.

That child that seems so bright yet prefers to not do anything, he/she may be that way not because they choose it but rather because he/she may have gone without food the previous day.

That kid who you see on their desk sleeping, he/she may not be lazy, he/she may have had to stay up watching sliblings while the parents were at work.

The kid who keeps speaking out of turn and making you look like an idiot while you are trying to teach, he/she may just be bored out of their mind with what you are trying to teach them and he/she may need to be challenged with more difficult work. Whatever the reason, we all come with baggage and we are all products of our life experiences.

Runner Down!

XrayAlmost to the end of the running season and I go and do something completely stupid. I injured my right knee.

How did it happen? Well, I went to a Zumba class where they have a spring board, a gymnastics place. I have never done gymnastics and have never been on a spring board so to tell you the truth, I had no idea what to expect. I went to the front to dance and of course, I like to jump and when I jumped, my leg was prepared for the first landing, however, I didn't realized that there would be a second jump produced by the spring floor, on the second jump, my knee/leg was not prepared for it and it went under me and to the side. It hurt. I felt the pain hit through the knee and up my  leg but I continued and finished the song. As the song ended, I went to the back of the room to check my knee. It wasn't swollen and it looked "in place". I hobbled around and then left to go home.

As I got home, I inspected the knee closer and it was getting swollen. Pain from 1-10 was about a 8 when I walked and a 10 if I touched the knee.  I decided to massage it and stretch it. I rolled it and it hurt. I wanted to make sure that it wasn't my IT band so I rolled the band and it hurt but not badly, just regular IT band tightness.  But there was something wrong with my knee, pain is not normal, hahaha.

Next day, I made an appointment to see my A.R.T doctor, he worked wonders on my achilles and was hoping that he would be able to see if was my ACL. He massaged the area and worked some knots out but he couldn't tell for sure if it was my ACL or not.  So off to another doctor I went.

Today, I went to see the orthopedic and had X-rays done and a complete examination of my knee. Diagnosis without MRI: Patella Tendon strain/sprain. What happened: The pulling force from my femur and tibia pulled the tendon on that second jump when the leg wasn't prepared and it pulled the tendon too much. Then the force of the femur and the tibia colliding together squished my meniscus and thus the pain in that area.

At this point, rest, compression, ice, and more rest. I will go in later today for steroid to bring the swelling down to gain more mobility in my knee. If I am good and stay off of it, and if the swelling is down I *may* be allowed to run on it next Friday and if everything feels good, I *may, may* be allowed to run the Halloween Half on the 27th. If there is any indication of swelling, I can kiss the Halloween Half good bye too.

Despite all that, I am very HAPPY that it is not my ACL and that none of my tendons are torn. I was very lucky that everything was strong enough to sustain the force of the impact.

Now, I just need to take it slow and rest my knee for a bit. 
What I learned: no more jumping on springy floors, at least not until I learn how to use them.


You work hard to learn and become the best that you can be. You, like everyone else start at the bottom and work and work to better yourself. One day, you look around and you are there. You made it. You accomplished your goal.

However, instead of rejoicing about reaching your goal, you spend half the time worrying because others see you as a threat. Even if you don't see them as a threat they see you as such. No matter how friendly you are or that you try to be helpful, it doesn't changes things.

The question is: is it worth working so hard to be the very best if while doing it, you make frenemies all around? Perhaps it is the industry? Maybe that is the reason why I am moving away from what I "love". I am tired of competing in something that really doesn't mean that much in life. At least not in the long run.

Cherries, Tomatoes, Tomatillos...and Us


A friend's mom has a Cherry tree in her backyard that gives the most delicious sweet cherries. The cherries look like miniature plums--a small sphere, deep merlot in color and when you bite down on them the juice just flows out.So tasty! The tree was loaded with cherries and they offered some to us. We went yesterday and picked about 20lbs of them. Now, they have all transformed into cherry jam. I am so excited to have made it and I hope that the kids like it enough to have it for awhile as I made 26 pints--that is enough for a year's worth of PB&J sandwiches. 

Our little garden has given us our very first tomatoes too. They are nice and plump!


We also have some tomatillos...we planted 6 plants and we have for some reason over 12 plants in our garden. Apparently some of the seeds from the tomatillos that we planted last year spread all over the garden and they have voluntarily bloomed. We are going to have an over abundance of tomatillos. It is alright though, I am planning to boil them and canned them to use throughout the year. They surely make the most delicious green salsa.


Unlike the tomatillo plants, our peppers this year have not been doing so well. We planted 8 plants and so far, only 1 has given us peppers, actually one pepper, pathetic. Who knows what went wrong this year. Last year, we had enough peppers to go along with the tomatillos, this year we weren't so lucky. But despite the pepperless garden, we are doing quite well. I'll bring you pictures later of our lettuce and our small pumpkin patch.

Ay Caramba!


Sometimes, I wonder what in heck I do all day? to-do list is really, really short and all I have done today is...laundry 4, 5, 6 loads!!! And I am still folding away! Ay Caramba!

Looking things on the bright side: at least I have clean clothes to fold and I didn't have to wash them by hand! Oi! I need help in this household upkeep business.

Update: I have conquered the mountains of laundry! I still need to put it away but it is folded. I managed to vacuum the downstairs but when I was almost done by vacuum died! Stupid thing keeps doing that all the time, so I called my neighbor and she lent me her beautiful and joyful and sucker upper Dyson! I have never before vacuumed happier in my life! That Dyson can suck things up and clean up in a jiffy! I think it is time to trade in!

Survival of the fittest....

TballThe cat is out of the bag! I let it slip that I am training for a small neighborhood triathlon, it is no ironman for sure, it is a no-pressure, non-competitive event among friends. But human nature stops me from being a complete slacker (and loser!) and showing up at the event and being dead last.

In trying the survival of the fittest technique, I have been diligently perfecting some techniques--like keeping my biking speed at 13mph...although a little faster wouldn't hurt, especially since half of the neighborhood gals bike at the 15-17mph range. The swimming has been a bit easier to perfect, I am no Michael Phelps (although we do share a last name), but I can definetely achieve the required 450 meters. Now the run is a completely different arena. I know I can survive the first two events: swim and bike but the run...I will probably cry during the entire 4mile run and arrive dead at the finish line or most likely Hubby will find me at the 1mile marker and carry me all the way to the finish line. I can already picture, running Tball3_edited1 ragged, with my tongue hanging out and my cheeks bright red and hair sticking up one side and floppy on the other thanks to the bike helmet, knees raw from probably falling off the bike seat after climbing on it with a slick bathing suit...ahh, I shall be the picture of beauty....Hubby definitely won't be able to miss the roadkill laying by the side of the road.

An athlete I am not. I don't have the body for one...I am short and stubby but the past few weeks/months have been enjoyable trying out all different types of activities. Today, I even admitted to Hubby that if I had the money, I would hire someone to clean my house and cook for me just so I could spend more time at sporty pursuits. I am feeling ridiculous...maybe I am going through my midlife crisis....what do you think?

Pictures: My Wonderboy playing T-ball. He enjoys playing all sorts of sports and we are so glad that he is willing to try new things. At first he was reluctant of playing T-ball but after his first game, he was extremelly excited about going back and hitting the ball and catching the ball with his mitt.

A weekend full of happenings...

Gotta love long weekends...especially extra long ones! My weekend started last Wednesday...I bet you didn't even noticed I was gone. I was tricksy and left posts ready to be posted daily in my absence, gotta love that feature!.

Anyways, I left Wednesday with a bunch of gals (church related) on a little camping trip to the Uinta Mountains.

Girlsknitting2_edited1_2My mission on the campting trip: to teach a group of 20 young women/girls to loom knit!

The weather was completely in my favor for this type of activity: snow and temperatures of 10 degrees (and sometimes below-it definitely felt colder!) made the girls eager to sit by the fire and learn the craft.

Although I went thinking that the girls' interest in learning to loom was small (or non-existent) to my surprise, they were all looking forward to learning. Some of them kept asking me about the hat and mitts I was wearing and if I could teach them to knit those items!Girlsknitting_edited1

My mission was a complete success! The girls learned to loom knit and they all finished a child size hat  (which will be donated to a local charity group). I feel soooo proud of them! Look at them....they are even smiling on some of the pictures.

After my class with the girls, I came home to get ready for Saturday's big day: Cache Valley's biathlon. Hubby was participating in it and I definitely didn't want to miss this special event.

HubbyatbiathlonThis was the first time that the kids and I saw hubby (dad) participate in any event of this kind. Back in high school he was big into this type of things...being part of the cross country team the guy was used to running 10 miles a day or more (crazy kid!). Seeing him in the event was one of the neatest experiences, the children just kept cheering him on and saying little things like "when I grow up, I am going to run like Dad" or "I am going to beat Dad one day".

Hubby did great in the event and he is already thinking Top of Utah Marathon in September and possibly the St. George Marathon in October (but the entries are closed and we will have to do some extra work for him to get in), me, well, I will be there to support him :) and to cheer for him.

B1_2 After the biathlon, we went to a small city celebration where they had hot air balloons (we saw these taking off before heading to the biathlon)games and activities for the children. Wonderboy climbed a rock wall all by himself (half way up :) ). And my Little Benny gave a smile to a football player in one of the booths and she got a little team t-shirt...she wore it today and she kept saying "I look so cool Momma".

Overall, it was a great weekend, full of activities for everyone...I even finished a pattern-a needle knit pattern (so exciting!)


And just in case you missed seeing these beauties (I did, but I have been living under a rock for hte past few days!), go check them out: Knit Night Cupcakes. The tutuorials on how-to are posted too! I am going to have to try this for sure this coming weekend!

My Worst Cooking Disaster Ever....

Lovely Scout who is buried in a foot of snow wants us to entertain her with our cooking is one of mine (there are many--don't laugh! but, I can say that I have never burned dinner, it has come out raw, but not burned, lol!).

I will not deny that I started cooking when I turned 23, before that, my mom's cooking was good enough and when I moved out of the house at 18 years of age, the local restaurant's knew me very well. The notion of cooking and having to do dishes terrified me....mostly because I saw it as a waste of time to spend 2 hours in the kitchen cooking and doing dishes instead of being outside working or studying.

But everything changed when I moved to Utah, no Mom to cook for me and the nearest restaurant required driving and stubborn mule couldn't (and still can't!) drive so I had to learn how to cook (I did sign up for the food meal plan at the University, but the food sucked majorly).

The most memorable "worst thing ever that I cooked" were sugar cookies. I had invited my hubby (then we were only friends) and his two roommates over for dinner. My roommate from Japan cooked most of the meal while I watched and learned. I decided to bake something for the guys. Everything seemed to be okay and the cookies smelled wonderful....but....they came out hard as little rocks! They didn't even flattened out!

The guys were courageous and tried them out but they kept telling me that they were going to bill me for their dentist bill.

On the other hand, my Japanese roommate, Ayako, said they were wonderful! She said they made little treats like that in Japan. She ate them all :).

As you can see, hubby didn't marry me for my cooking skills (don't ask why he married me, hehehehe). I have learned since then, but I am still really bad at baking. I tend not to read the instructions fully or I skip a line (or two). Proof, the cookies I baked this Sunday. They were supposed to go to the neighbors, but I forgot to put the baking soda (or is it baking powder), I can't ever keep them straight!


It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...

Things around here are a bit upside down right now, we have the big rush of Christmas orders to get out for the loomybiz, no Christmas shopping has gotten done, the Christmas tree finally went up on Sunday and this year around I got a clue and bought the Christmas stockings. The overachiever in me wanted to knit one for each one in the family--maybe next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I have grandkids I'll have them ready, but for now, the store bought ones will have to do.


While we were in NY this past October, I decided to get little keepsakes of our family trips, at first I didn't know what to get, the usuals came to mind: little spoon (for a spoon collection), it got turned down when I realized that I would have to dust them and would have to put them up somewhere around the house, I am not much for trinkets and I am not much for having a cluttered house, so that idea got turned down. A blanket--nah, takes too much room. Cups--nah, I wouldn't have enough space to store them all and I kind of have a favorite cup already. Then, I saw it, a cute little Christmas ornament, my decision was made, our family trip's keepsakes will become Christmas ornaments. Unlike all the other keepsakes, they are stored away for most of the year, no dusting, no cluttering, and it will stir my our memories every year when we put our Christmas tree up.

Speaking of trips, our trip to California was a great family time. The kids enjoyed themselves most of the time, at first we started off on a bad note, Wonderboy got scared at the Bug's Life 3D show, little Benny didn't want to go near Minnie nor Mickey. In their defense, the show was a bit scary and the characters are a tad bit bigger in real life than the ones they see on tv all the time. But at the end of the day, they enjoyed themselves very much--little Benny enjoyed seeing all the princesses and the highlight of her day was seeing Santa on the parade, Wonderboy and hubby loved the Buzz Lightyear show/ride (enough to go through it twice!), and I got a dream made reality--at almost 30 years old Disneyland was magical too me.

Back later with some knitting content...little Benny's bolero is half way done.

Look! It is white, fluffy, and wet!

Brrrrr! It is cold cold? Well, cold enough for the white fluff to come down and not only up in the mountains but down to our little valley too! It is beautiful!

1stsnow2 Snowcloseup

I never in my entire life did I think I would say the following words: I love waking up early! By 7:30am, I have already had 2 hours just for myself--granted, I have spent them exercising and taking a shower, but the idea of having those 2 hours just for me makes my day so much better. To top the great feeling, I have lost 3 lbs! 3 weeks straight exercising and 3 lbs down is not too shabby. I am feeling so much better too--I don't feel as tired and my skin looks healthier--even radiant!

Coolpumpkin_1Speaking of radiant--look at my radiant pumpkin--she complaints a bit but she knows her future. I believe all pumpkins know that when they reach a certain size they will meet Mr. Oven, thus a lot of them refuse to grow and they stay itty bitty--avoidance behaviour can be found everywhere, not only in our children!

The future of this pumpkin has already been decided--Wonderboy Cutup told me yesterday that his favorite pie was pumpkin and if I loved him that I should make him one with the nice orange pumpkin. The timing was perfect--you see, this will be my very first time. I have never made pumpkin pie, but thanks to one of my neighbors who told me how to cook it and to Mim who just yesterday posted how to make the pastry section of the pie, I should be able to accomplish the task! If you have any tips before I start the entire process, let me know, this baby is cooking right now and Wonderboy and I will be making the pie this afternoon! Wish us luck!


I miss my Mommmmy


Sniff, sniff, sniff....she is on her way right now to NY. The visit was way to short. The time went by too fast, we had so many plans but time caught up with us and half of our plans did not come through.

Saying goodbye to her gets harder and harder each time. Each time, I try to be stoic and hold my ground, I try hard not to show too much emotion, but each time, I fail miserably. As she holds me close and tells me that she loves me, I can feel the pain within me starting and my eyes begin to sting and then I can feel the little streams down my cheeks. (Just keep on thinking that she'll be back soon, soon...soon!)

This time around was a bit harder than ever before for two reasons: First, my darlin' Momma has been very sick with RA and it has caused her great pain and it has changed her lifestyle completely. It worries me that she is so far away--in a place where I can't care for her and be there for her.

The second reason are my little ones. They instantly fell in love with their Abuelita and seeing her go was heartbreaking. My little Wonderboy kept a straight face throughout our goodbyes at the airport. He didn't smile, he didn't cry, he didn't do much, just gave Abuelita high five and a kiss. However, as soon as we got to the car and he got in his seat--his little face changed completely and he just started crying non-stop. He wanted his Abuelita and he wanted to go in the plane to NY with Abuelita.  I held him in my arms and reasured him that Abuelita would come back soon (at the same time, I was trying to affirm this to myself too) but as I held him and felt his crying, I started with the crocodile tears the end, my little Wonderboy was my support. Baby Wondergirl just kept on asking for her Grandma and her Uncle....and telling her daddy that "mommy...sad...miss...grandma" (she talks in one word sentences).

Although we are a bit sad...we have hope, she has promised to move closer to us...maybe in two years, or if everything goes well a bit sooner. In the mean time, we will cherish our little mini-vacations together. Grandma come back soon!!! (She reads my blog over at the library...Mami, regrese pronto!--la extranamos mucho!).

Pictures of yummy food coming up....think yummy salad and some very tasty Corundas and Pork in Green Salsa......yuummmm.

Here is a mini-slide of more pictures with Abuelita....

Sick...cough, cough

Just a quick note to all my devoted fans, hahahahaha, ok, so I am delirious in my moment of high fevers. I am sick like a dog...hmmm, interesting, I have never seen a dog sick, so I don't know where that saying originated from, if you know, let me know.

Anyways, I am sick. I spent all weekend sick and although I woke up feeling a bit better as the day progressed it just kept getting worse and right now, I am worse than I was on Friday.

The looming deadline is well...looming. I have a ton of work to do, so please send the following if you love me:

1. Energy

2. Red Bull--lots of it. I have never tried it, but I am all willing to do it.

3. Hot Chocolate

4. A helper to help me make sense of what I am writing

Better go eat something and sleep the afternoon away.........cough, cough

Roughing it up a bit..

Tent_2 You know when you start a project, you have the best intentions, you make a swatch, you frog the swatch, grab different yarn, re-try the swatch, start the project, just to find out that you screwed up 10 rows back. So you frog it again, then you start again with a I-will-pay-closer-attention-this-time-around attitude. Then, have almost 10 inches of work done and S*&^%--the baby comes and wiggles herself between the project and you. Whitfluff Project get's screwed up again. So you try again...and again...and the end, you just throw the stupid project out the window and it lands on the stinking tree ready for a photograph! It is taunting you...saying...heck, I've won!!

I give up...I didn't even want to knit a stupid cowl...even if is for the deadline! It is a silly thing, looks like a hat without a gathered top! I think everyone can make something like project gets scratched permanently--there, I've won!!! Instead, I will knit a cute little cravat or maybe I'll just pick up my needles and knit me another pair of socks..hehehehe....procrastination, the queen of all evil!

Tent3 Sometimes, you just have to show some tough love and roughen things up a bit, shake things around and see if another approach will have better results. In this case...the yarn and loom are being put away in time-out!!!

In trying to shake things up around the house, I decided to be the adventurous Mom and give my kids a taste of the outdoors--while still being in-doors. See that tent--I set it up all by myself. Tent2_1 No help from any grownup---I can survive in the see, I even had a few spare parts left for future use. What is that? Did you say there are not supposed to be spare parts--heck, mine came equipped with spare parts...really! hehehehe

Well, even if it is not set up properly, the kids are enjoying it...and I am enjoying the sporadic 15 minutes of peace I get while they go "live" in their own house.

PS: I found this cool blog that gathers the best posts from the knitting blogosphere


Life has been a bit hectic the past few days. Two days ago, I got a phone call from the landlady. It was around 9 am.

Me: Huullloo (imagine a very groggy voice)

Her: Hi! (all chippery and happy)

Me: Yep, how can I be of help?

Her: Well, I have some bad news and some good news.

Me: (Alert now, ready for a bucket of cold water) Ok.

Her: The good news, we will be replacing your carpet.

Me: Ok, great, but the one we have is not really that old and it looks pretty good.

Her: Oh, we decided to sell the house and we want it to look spotless

Me: (laughing inside, yeah! right, spotless with two children, highly doubt it!) Ok, we are game.

Her: The bad news. It is happening tomorrow at 11am. So, we need to move all your stuff out of your living room and children's bedroom so that we can tear up the carpet this afternoon.

Me: (looking around at all my junk! thinking quickly about dinner and breakfast for the next day. If I can't get into the kitchen because of all the furniture, how am I supposed to feed my kids). Phone goes silent

Her: Are you ok?

Me: yeah, I guess.

Her: Is this ok with you?

Me: Do I have an option in the matter? I mean you have already made the arrangements.

Her: Ok, then we'll be at your apartment at 5:00pm to tear the carpet.

Me: Ok. (hang up the phone)

Me: She is freaking NUTS! As I explain the conversation to hubby whom was standing right next to me during the conversation.

Crap--we both wish we owned our own house. This crap never happened to us before at any of the other places we have lived in. Now, we have lived in this apartment for almost 2 years, in those 2 years, we have been flooded 3 times, so we have had to evacuate to either a)Grandma's b)hotel c)work

Since we gave in our notice to move out about a month ago, she has shown our apartment about 8 times, each of those times, I have had to clean the house spotless--and any of you with kids out there can relate--it is a difficult, if not an impossible task!

The cherry on the cake was this evening after waiting at work for them to finish doing the carpeting, we get into our driveway at 7:30pm. Hubby runs downstairs to our apartment to check if the carpet business is finished--guess what--no, it is not!! So, I call the landlady.

Me: Hi, do you know when the apartment will be ready?

Her: Hmmm, we are almost done, we just need to do the coving and then clean up. Why? where are you?

Me: Well, we are right outside our driveway.

Her: Oh--whispers to her husband--"they want to come home, we need to finish".

Me: (blood boiling, almost foaming at the mouth. Bloody heck! it is almost 8pm and she just barely realized that we want to come home!!! Thankfully, my children are asleep in the car.) Ok, we'll be back in 30 minutes.

Her: ok, we'll hurry and clean up for you.

Hubby and I drive around and park and eat our dinner in the car while the kids sleep.

As you can see, life has been a bit troublesome, not badly, but just a triffle troublesome. The adventure at this apartment has been of historic proportions. From all the apartments we have lived in, we will remember this apartment the most. As we sit across each other 40 years from now, we are still going to remember the floods, the super fast cleanings of the house, and the mid-night cries of our little neighbor upstairs. The good thing is that in 40 years from now, we will probably laugh about it--so in the end, let's not sweat the small stuff. At the end of the day, it reallly doesn't matter if the house is in shambles, or if my knitting ended up under the couch with one of my dpns missing for eternity, or that my sketches for my book are all misplaced, we are all together, safe, and toasty under the covers. Life is grand!

Newbies_1  But, in all of this, I do  have some really neat news. Check out the picture and I will let you spot two things that are new in my house--besides the carpet.

No, it is not knitting related--but pretty neat nonetheless. I got some mad money and I got to spend it whichever way I wanted.  We have finally graduated from a little 13" tv to a mega big 32" flat panel! How I wish I had had this little puppy last week during the Olympics. I would have enjoyed watching it in almost life size.

It definitely brings a new meaning to watching action shows. Now, I feel that I have to go and re-rent every video I have seen during the past few months. Although action shows are cool--watching cartoons is kinda of freaky--too much color!

Speaking of Olympics, I have claimed my medal. I really feel great in showing it off, so it will have a little permanent spot on my sidebar.

Medalwebsmall *Hecktic=Combination of heck + hectic. Heck being the nice way of saying "hell" Most Utahn's say heck as opposed to heck (hehehe) It is more PG rated :)

The Teacup Story

I am 20 something...closer to 30 than to the 20. In these many years, I thought that life had been at points very difficult, and at points, death would had been preferable than going through the trial. I have known all along that my past experiences have made me into the person I am today. Some would say I am shy, others would say I am bossy, and yet others would stick to saying that I am just a nut! However, I hope that at the end of my life, I can be a beautiful, yet strong teacup.

The Teacup Story

There was a couple who used to go to England to shop in the beautiful stores. They both liked antiques and pottery and especially teacups. This was their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary.

One day in this beautiful shop they saw a beautiful teacup. They said, "May we see that? We've never seen one quite so beautiful."

As the lady handed it to them, suddenly the teacup spoke. "You don't understand," it said. "I haven't always been a teacup.

There was a time when I was brown and I was clay. My master took me and rolled me and patted me over and over and I yelled out, 'let me alone', but he only smiled, 'Not yet.'

"Then I was placed on a spinning wheel," the teacup said, "and suddenly I was spun around and around and around. Stop it! I'm getting dizzy! I screamed. But the master only nodded and said, 'Not yet.'

Then he put me in the oven. I never felt such heat. I wondered why he wanted to burn me, and I yelled and knocked at the door. I could see him through the opening and I could read his lips as he shook his head, 'Not yet.'

Finally the door opened, he put me on the shelf, and I began to cool. 'There, that's better,' I said. And he brushed and painted me all over. The fumes were horrible. I thought I would gag. 'Stop it, stop it!' I cried. He only nodded, 'Not yet.'

Then suddenly he put me back into the oven, not like the first one. This was twice as hot and I knew I would suffocate. I begged. I pleaded. I screamed. I cried. All the time I could see him through the opening nodding his head saying, 'Not yet.'

Then I knew there wasn't any hope. I would never make it. I was ready to give up. But the door opened and he took me out and placed me on the shelf. One hour later he handed me a mirror and said, 'Look at yourself. And I did.

I said, 'That's not me; that couldn't be me. It's beautiful. I'm beautiful.'

'I want you to remember, then,' he said, 'I know it hurts to be rolled and patted, but if I had left you alone, you'd have dried up.

I know it made you dizzy to spin around on the wheel, but if I had stopped, you would have crumbled. I knew it hurt and was hot and disagreeable in the oven, but if I hadn't put you there, you would have cracked.

I know the fumes were bad when I brushed and painted you all over, but if I hadn't done that, you never would have hardened; you would not have had any color in your life.

And if I hadn't put you back in that second oven, you wouldn't survive for very long because the hardness would not have held. Now you are a finished product. You are what I had in mind when I first began with you

Chop, chop

It was just getting too long and unmaneageable. If you saw me, I usually had it up all the time, so there was no point in having it, so finally, yesterday, I decided to go chop, chop to it. And I went from this:


To this:

Shot1 Dsc03222

Ok, stop laughing, I'm not a model, but heck, it is hard to take a picture of yourself by using the mirror and a little baby to make you smile. My nose also is not that it (trying to look at it). Well, what do you think? Be honest! I really was afraid of chopping it too short in fear that my chubby cheeks would take over and make me look like all cheeks. 

Anyways, I chopped about 7-8 inches. It feels a bit weird, but I am hoping my headaches stop and I was in need of a bit of a change. Now, if I could only get the guts to get some red highlights :). 

In knitting news--have you seen the new Twist sweater by Chicknits. I absolutely love it. I want it, I must have it. I don't know if I would put fringes on it, but I like the sweater.

In looming news--I am looming a bag on a Prayer Shawl Loom using Burly Spun by Brown Sheep. It is gorgeous, chunky yarn. Just 10 rows done, but it is going fast.

In family life, my little Nyah has a cold and she is miserable right now. It is tough being a baby and not being able to blow your nose. So she is getting extra Mommy time and lots of cuddles.

A funny :)

My dear friend Charlie sent me this and I had to share with all of you. Enjoy :)

PS: Don't forget


And check out the Knitting Loom Auctions I have, the proceeds will go to the American Red Cross Katrina Relief Fund

Why Are Men Happier?

Men Are Just Happier People?  What do you expect from such simple
creatures? Your last name stays put. The garage is all yours. Wedding
plans take care of themselves. Chocolate is just another snack. You
can be President. You can never be pregnant. You can wear a white T-shirt
to a water park. Car mechanics tell you the truth. The world  is your
urinal. You never have to drive to another gas station restroom
because this one is just too icky. You don't have to stop and think of
which way to turn a nut on a bolt.   Same work, more pay. Wrinkles add
character.  Wedding dress - $5000. Tux rental - $100.  The occasional
well-rendered belch is practically expected. New shoes don't cut,
blister, or mangle your feet. One mood - all the time. Phone
conversations are over in 30 seconds flat. You know stuff about tanks.
A five-day vacation requires only one suitcase. You can open all
your own jars. You get extra
credit for the slightest act of thoughtfulness. If someone forgets to
invite you, he or she can still be your friend.
Your underwear is $8.95 for a three-pack.   Three pairs of shoes are
more than enough. You almost never have strap problems in public. You are
unable to see wrinkles in your clothes. Everything on your face stays its
original color. The same hairstyle lasts for years, maybe decades. You
only have to shave your face and neck. You can play with toys all your
life.   Your belly usually hides your big hips. One wallet and one pair of
shoes one color for all seasons. You can wear shorts no matter how your
legs look. You can "do" your nails with a pocket knife. You have
freedom of choice concerning growing a mustache. You can do Christmas
shopping for 25 relatives on December 24 in 23 minutes. No wonder men are